I've been thinking a lot about my identity recently. Who am I? Have I created this identity? Who would I like to be?
I currently see myself as
1) An engineer
2) Someone who creates things
3) Socially conscious
4) A bit of a dabbler
5) Female, I suppose
I think I create my identity based on my actions and choices. This means the person I am is changing constantly. Right now, my identity is on the verge of taking a great leap.
I would like to go from being socially conscious to a social force, elegant, savvy, and in charge. I would like to go from being simply an engineer to someone who creates both physical and social change. Although I want to continue gaining the skills necessary to create simple tools, I would also like to create more complex things that fit into existing infrastructures. I want them to both be useful and look nice. I would like my creations to raise societal questions, and to enable people to come together and respond to those questions.
I would also like to live a life that assumes no lasting legacy, yet is still worthwhile. I would like to be a more honest, open person than I am now, to make connections with people all over the world, and to make great use of the short time I have.
The key to making these changes is to start acting. I'm creating my identity, so I'd better start now. Changing identities is a scary process, though. It means leaving behind the old identity. (I'm quite fond of mine.) What if I fail at being the person I'd like to be? What if I'm not good at the tasks I set before myself?
Oh well, I've done this before. I'm here now. The process turned out well last time, so I may as well try again.
Au revoir, friends.
I hope this post makes sense. I'll post more on the topic later, so be sure to make me clarify!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment